You might have heard buzz about the various health benefits of smoothies these days. It is everywhere, just look around you. I remember the first time when I stumbled upon an informative article on health benefits of drinking colorful smoothies and the idea of putting raw spinach, kale, parsley, cilantro, and greens blended into a drink completely grossed me out.
I anyway tried drinking it to heal my acne and some hormonal issues, and I have seen great results by incorporating a ton of greens and fruits to my morning drink.
So, I decided to spread the word about the top health benefits of smoothies, how to make them and am also sharing one of my favorites go-to beauty-boosting smoothie recipe to fight wrinkles and improve your skin complexion.
So What is a Smoothie?
- Smoothies are simple drinks made up from a cocktail of different fruits and vegetables, often with a liquid and some creamy base thrown in for good measure.
- Smoothies taste delicious. And what’s more, is that they also contain a ton of goodness in the form of vitamins and minerals that are missing from our diets too often these days.
- By just adding a convenient smoothie to your diet and having this once a day, you can massively increase your overall health, your body composition and your immunity and energy!
And How Do You Make Them? ( A little creativity is all it takes)
1. YOUR WEAPON OF CHOICE
The first thing you will need is a smoothie maker or a blender. This is what you are going to use to mush up your ingredients into a pulp, and of course, you need something powerful to ensure this can be done quickly and easily.
Think about how smooth the smoothie will be to dispense and to wash afterward. The Nutribullet is a trendy product right now because it allows you just to remove the top of your blender to take with you wherever you go like a bottle!
2. THE LIQUID
Next, you need to choose the liquid ingredient of your choice. Fluids will make your smoothie runny and help to blend the veggies into a smooth texture. The more liquid you add, the runnier your smoothie will be, and this comes down to personal preference. The norm is to add somewhere between 1-2 cups.
Good examples of liquids include juices, water, milk, ice and even green tea. There are different benefits of each, so have a long hard think about which you want to try and how this will go with the other ingredients you have planned.
My all-time personal favorite is chilled coconut water. This component alone takes your smoothie taste to a whole new level.
3. THE BASE
The next part is the base. This is the ‘main ingredient, flavor,’ and it is what is going to provide the consistency of your smoothie – i.e., what will make it smooth!
You need to choose something that has the right creaminess while also offering flavor (as this will likely be the most dominant flavor in the drink) and also lots of health benefits. Popular choices include banana, mango, peach, avocado, yogurt, and ice!
Let me let you in on a little secret 🙂 If you ever get bored of the taste of bananas and mango in your drink, Try cauliflower as a secret ingredient. Cauliflower has tons of health benefits, and it helps lower your insulin levels.
Frozen cauliflower adds a perfect creaminess texture to your smoothie and makes it tasty. Try it sometime and let us know how it went for you.
4. FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
Here comes my favorite part which is adding our fruits and vegetables! You can do this yourself and simply think about what is and what is not likely to work against the base and liquid you’ve chosen.
Otherwise, you might choose your veggies and fruits based on the different nutritional properties they provide. If you aren’t willing to experiment on your own, then, try turning to a recipe instead.
There are plenty on the web, so you shouldn’t be stuck for inspiration for too long! I have a ton of red, green, and purple smoothie recipes of my own; I am saving that up for later.
Finally, consider a few different add-on ingredients to give your smoothie that extra kick. You can add garnishes for instance or even nuts to make it beautiful, or how about sweetening it with a little honey?
The popular choices are flaxseed, chia seed, goji berries, spirulina, maca powder, coconut sugar, cacao nibs, coconut flakes, protein powder, or even spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SMOOTHIES
- It Fulfils Your Daily Calcium Requirement– Adding calcium-rich milk as a base ingredient in your smoothies prоvіdе you with your daily nutritional requirements of calcium that supports your bоnе ѕtrеngth for years to come ( Vegans add Almond Milk). Whole milk provides аlmоѕt a third of your daily rеԛuіrеmеntѕ оf саlсіum. It also соntаіnѕ fats and vіtаmіnѕ to kеер your body аlіvе.
- Smoothies Mаkе a Hеаlthу Breakfast More Cоnvеnіеnt– A hоmеmаdе ѕmооthіе for уоur mоrnіng breakfast іѕ an excellent choice. It gіvеѕ уоu еnеrgу tо maintain сhееrfulnеѕѕ untіl thе еnd оf thе dау. Drіnkіng a smoothie in the mоrnіng helps you frоm іndulgіng іn empty саrbоhуdrаtеѕ. In fасt, a nutrіtіоuѕ smoothie does bеttеr when іt соmеѕ tо bоdу еnrісhmеnt thаt multivitamins dо.
- Smoothies аrе Nutrient- Dense аnd Cоntаіn Healthy Fats– The bеѕt smoothies are nutrient – dense, providing vіtаmіnѕ аnd oils nесеѕѕаrу fоr gооd nutrіtіоn. Fаt is required fоr bіоlоgісаl function аnd burnеd bу уоur body fоr energy; coconut oil, avocado, and nuts and seeds contain healthy fats help proteins to do their job while protecting our vital organs.
- Hеаlthу Smооthіеѕ аrе Sіmрlе tо Mаkе– Hеаlthу smoothies аrе easy tо рrоduсе. Whеn уоu hаvе a gооd blender аnd of ԛuаlіtу іngrеdіеntѕ; you can hаvе a delicious and healthy ѕmооthіе in just a ѕnар. It is a rapid and healthy beverage on the go.
- Smооthіеѕ Hеlр Yоu Kеер Hуdrаtеd– A smoothie fоr brеаkfаѕt hеlрѕ уоu keep hуdrаtеd аt the start оf thе dау. A glass оf ѕmооthіе will quench your thіrѕt, so you dоn’t hаvе tо drіnk wаtеr еvеrу tіmе уоu get thіrѕtу.
- Smoothies Provide Tons of Energy- Digestion is one of the most stressful activities of the body, and when eating foods that are difficult to digest ( animal protein, processed and fried foods, pizza, burgers) more energy is used up that people often feel tired, lacking energy or sleepy right after having a heavy meal.
Plant-based smoothies are highly absorbable and easily digestible, resulting in higher net energy gain after digestion which can be allocated for faster recovery and more available energy especially if you are a very active person. Smoothies are оf really grеаt hеlр whеn іt соmеѕ in thе аѕресt оf оur hеаlth.
In оrdеr to ѕtау wеll, smoothies аrе better аnd ѕіmрlе wауѕ tо gеt іn thе other nutrіtіоn that уоu nееd in оrdеr tо fіght and ѕurvіvе еvеrу dау’ѕ challenges.
The great thing about smoothies and the main reason they’ve become so popular is that they provide a very comfortable and convenient way to get a lot of extra nutrition in your diet.
Eating healthy isn’t always easy, and a lot of us will find we run out of time to prepare homemade meals and that it can even be quite expensive trying to eat fresh!
MY FAVORITE BEAUTY BOOSTING SMOOTHIE RECIPE
As you already know that real beauty starts from the inside and that’s not just an abstract saying but literal. This beauty enhancing smoothie is a part of my skincare regime from inside out.
The ingredients of the smoothie contain the right amount of antioxidants and vitamins which have been medically proven to improve the quality of your skin over time.
- 1 cup hydrating Chilled Coconut Water (fresh)
- 1 cup of Berries (mixed works fine) or use whatever is available.
- 1/2 cup Mango
- 3 tbsp of Pomegranate Juice
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Put all the ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend blend blend until it forms a thick creamy texture.
- Add some crushed ice.
- Sprinkle some chia seeds on top.
- Serve in a cute mason jar and enjoy your healthy tasty beauty smoothie.
Berries like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries are a great source of antioxidants and naturally low in sugar. You can use any of them according to your availability.
Mangoes are a rich source of Vitamin A and Beta Carotene which acts a natural skin protector to the skin and helps to heal acne and scarring. It also adds a natural sweetness to your smoothie.
Pomegranates are high in antioxidants and is a superfood for the skin and overall health. One pomegranate contains 40 percent of your daily Vitamin C recommended intake.
Berries- Main Ingredient hence no substitute.
Coconut Water- Chilled Green Tea or Plain Water
Pomegranate Juice – No Replacement
Chia Seeds- Flax seeds, Coconut Flakes or Cacao Nibs.
Apple Cider Vinegar- Don’t add if you are allergic (though highly recommended if you can manage).
Smoothies, Green Juices, and Coconut Water are great beverages to quench thirst, reduce hunger cravings and provide a ton of daily nutritional requirements to our body. They can be best consumed as a grab n go morning breakfast or a healthy post workout choice.
Would you mind sharing your favorite smoothie or juice recipes with us? Feel free to leave them in the comment section below.
We would love to hear from you 🙂