If your energy levels are low, your hair and skin are dull and lacking luster, and you have been overindulging lately – then maybe a detox is in order.
I have curated the list of 14 detox foods that will cleanse your entire digestive system and leave you to feel rejuvenated and full of energy especially if you have been indulging in a lot of sugar-laden and fried foods on holiday or during the festive season.
Detoxing is a part of any healthy lifestyle, and by detoxing, you are allowing your body to heal and repair itself. When you go on a detox, your body can flush out all the toxins that build up throughout everyday modern living.
Once your body is free from these harmful toxins, it has the ability and energy to start repairing and healing other areas of your body such as illnesses, hair, skin, nails and everything else that may have been neglected.
The simplest way to go on a detox is by starting the day with a cleansing drink of lemon juice and water. Only add the juice of half a lemon to a glass of lukewarm water and drink it first thing in the morning.
This will aid in removing some toxins along with nourishing your body with Vitamin C and Potassium. Alternatively, brew a cup of herbal tea if lemon is not your thing.
To learn more about the benefits of fruit for betterment of your health, skin and internal organs read this post- Lemon Juice Benefits For Health and Beauty
Detox Your Way To Beauty Once A Week
- Avoid meat, dairy products, sugar, refined and processed foods, pasta, bread, rice, soy products, alcohol, and coffee for the entire day.
- Increase your intake of fresh fruits, vegetables, juices, and water.
- Drink at least two liters of water.
- Take 1000mg of antioxidant rich vitamin C to help cleanse and revitalize your system.
- Juice it – be sure to incorporate plenty of fresh vegetable and fruit juices, not only are they an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, they are also fabulous detoxifiers.
Detoxing Workouts/ Treatments Once A Week
Certain foods have high detoxifying properties, and these 14 detox foods are highly recommended to use in your daily meals.
HERE IS THE LIST OF 14 DETOX FOODS
1. WATER- Ok yes I know water is not food, but this elixir of life works wonders when you are exhausted. Water has no calories and is needed for most bodily functions. The amount of water needed depends on a person’s daily activities. Just try not to go below a liter in a day.
2. TURMERIC– This Indian wonder drug is a natural antiseptic, blood purifier, antihistamine and prevents all kinds of infection in your body. It blocks cancer cells, reduces cholesterol and enhances memory too. It stimulates the liver and increases red blood cells formation.
Try adding turmeric powder to your meals to improve its flavor or mix a tsp of spice in a hot glass of milk before your bed time and let it perform its magic while you are sleeping 🙂
GOLDEN MILK RECIPE
Alternatively, you can also add beautifying and immune boosting power herbs like cinnamon, saffron, healthy fats such as coconut milk, cloves, cardamom, etc.
3. FRUITS- Fruits contain fiber, pectin, natural sugars, antioxidants and necessary vitamins and minerals. Easily digestible and the liquid content in fruits washes out all the toxins from your body. Some of the instant detox fruits are grapefruits, ripe papaya (eat it on empty stomach) lemon, banana, kiwi, blackberries, blueberries and apples.
4. CORIANDER LEAVES– It is rich in micronutrients and fiber. Its medicinal properties have been documented in Sanskrit and Greek writings. Include this powerful antioxidant in your daily meals, either as a chutney (sauce) or garnish on your meals.
Coriander leaves are also an excellent source of calcium and help in thinning the blood.
If these reasons are not sufficient for you to start having this amazing herb in your daily meals. I will let you in on a little secret.
Coriander Juice is an excellent remedy to fight obesity and burn fat from your body. It works like a miracle for fast weight loss. Don’t believe me 🙁
Watch These Videos
5. GREEN/BLACK/RED TEA- Tea is one of the most valued and widely consumed drinks in the world. It is delicious and has zero calories. They are full of antioxidants which help to fasten your metabolism, slows the aging process, cleanses the liver and protects against headaches and tiredness.
The antioxidants called catechins found in tea prevent cell mutation, reduce the formation and growth of tumor cells and lowers the risk of heart attacks and cholesterol.
6. LEMON- A glass of lime juice or a dash of lime in your salads or curries will do you a world of good. Lemon prevents acidity as it is acidic on the tongue and alkaline in the body, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure.
The high vitamin C content boosts immunity, prevents cold and cough cleanses the liver and helps metabolism of fats.
7. LEAFY GREENS- Greens like wheatgrass, spirulina, spinach, and fenugreek are a powerhouse of nutrients. It contains chlorophyll which boosts your digestive tract. These power packed greens are nutrient dense, high in protein, full of fiber and contain enzymes that help in the breakdown of food.
They cleanse the body of nasty toxins and improve the functioning of different organs like the liver and heart.
8. GARLIC- This antioxidant fights allergies and offers protection from cancer and heart disease. It is also a de-wormer. Eating a bit of garlic every day improves circulation, reduce accumulation of mucous and ensures a healthy digestive system.
So strong are the healing powers of garlic that Khnoum Khoufouf, who built one of the world’s oldest pyramids, made it mandatory for his workers to take garlic every day to remain vigorous and healthy.
9. ONION– Onion contains sulphuric acid and quercetin, which is a potent antioxidant. The sulfur cleanses the liver and skin and has antiseptic properties that stimulate the mucous lining of the sinus and digestive organs. Onions tearing property prevents infections and increases the flow of digestive juices, thereby creating greater absorption of nutrients.
10. COCONUT- In Sanskrit, coconut is known as kalpavrusksha meaning the life-giving plant. Tender coconut is high in potassium, lowers blood pressure and hydrates the body. It is also identical to the human blood plasma. When you drink raw coconut and the juice of a green leafy vegetable, you immediately give yourself a blood transfusion.
The cream of the coconut is a good quality saturated fat that restores damaged tissues. Virgin coconut oil reduces cholesterol and balances and controls the thyroid gland.
11. GHEE- Used in moderation, ghee is good for the eyes, aids digestion, enhances memory and stamina and promotes longevity. In Ayurveda, a daily dose of ghee is advised for detoxification. However ,if you are a vegan, avoid having ghee since it is a pure animal fat.
12. VEGETABLES- It contains loads of fiber which keeps you feeling full for a longer period and gives you satiety. One kilo of vegetables is only 350 kcal. They provide loads of nutrients and minerals.
The best examples are beets, artichokes, cucumber, tomatoes,bell peppers, cabbage, collard greens, green beans, mushrooms, peas, spinach and zucchini.
13. CURD- Curd contains natural probiotics, which help maintain stomach friendly bacteria that aid digestion.
A glass of buttermilk or a small serving of curd daily will keep your stomach healthy and happy. Just try not to opt for the flavored ones which are usually full of sugar and preservatives.
To get all the goodness out of your bowl of curd, go for the fresh homemade Greek yogurt.
14. GINGER- The root acts against inflammation, is a pain reliever and a natural antiseptic. It cleanses the liver and also helps relieve migraines. Ginger is excellent for aching joints and helps get rid of flatulence.
A detox is a satisfying ritual to feel refreshed and revitalized. In addition to consuming these foods for a quick body detox, indulge yourself in a weekly pampering body treatment.
Try giving yourself an Epsom salt bath or a body wrap in the mud. It will instantly freshen you up and get rid of any toxins from your skin cells.
And as far as internal detoxing and healing is concerned, food is always the winner.